Kim Lowe is an artist and printmaker based in Otautahi Christchurch Aotearoa New Zealand and is the current recipient of the prestigious Olivia Spenser Bower Award 2019.
2007/2008 Master of Fine Arts (Distinction), School of Fine Arts, University of Canterbury, Christchurch.
2006 Bachelor of Fine Arts, First Class Honours, School of Fine Arts, University of Canterbury.
1998 Diploma of Teaching, NZ Graduate School of Education, Christchurch.
1996 Bachelor of Fine Art, Otago Polytechnic School of Art, Dunedin.
EMPLOYMENT and PROJECTS
2014-2019 Academic Staff (part-time), Creative Industries, Art and Design, Ara Institute of Canterbury, Christchurch, NZ.
2014-2018 Co-ordinator, Toi Te Karoro, Shared print studio, New Brighton, Christchurch.
2013-2016 Co-presenter for Artery, Community Radio, PlainsFM, Christchurch.
2013 Administrator, Aotearoa Chinese Artists (AChA), NZ
2012, 2013 Co-ordinator for the Shared Lines:Sendai-Christchurch Art Exchange. Japan and NZ.
2006, 2007 Assistant Lecturer in Printmaking (FINT), School of Fine Arts, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, NZ.
1999 – 2005 Teacher of Art, Photography and Technology, Hillmorton High School, Christchurch.
2018 (M)other, Chambers Gallery, Christchurch.
2016 Kim Lowe, Toi o Tahuna Gallery at The Hilton Kawarau Village, Queenstown.
2014 Floating Worlds, City Art Depot, Christchurch.
2013 Mrs Chrysanthemum Patiently Waits, Corbans Estate Arts Centre, Auckland.
2013 Black Swans, Toi O Tahuna Gallery, Queenstown.
2010 9 Dragons, Brooke Gifford Gallery, Christchurch.
2008 Lattice and Lao Shu, Solander Works on Paper, Wellington.
2007 Lattice and Lao Shu, COCA, Christchurch.
1998 Lunagraphy, Salamander Gallery, Christchurch.
SELECTED GROUP PROJECTS/ EXHIBITIONS
2018 Te Waipounamu, Vriendenkring Foundation Veele Rooms, Gallery De Heerlyckheid, Antwerp, Belgium
2018 Quartet Curated by Andrew Paul Wood, City Art Depot, Christchurch
2017 Outliers NEXT Gallery, St Asaph st, Christchurch
2016 Good Fortune Water Exchange First Thursdays, Christchurch
2015 Gold Mountain Takeaways Impact9 International Print Conference, Hangzhou China.
2015 Sydney Contemporary Art Fair represented by Toi o Tahuna Gallery, Carriageworks Sydney.
2015 Thinking of Place Australia/NZ Print exchange, South Island Co-ordinator/contributer.
2014 Enchanted Garden Festival of Flowers, CPIT, Christchurch.
2012 Shared Lines Sendai Christchurch Art Exchange, Sendai, Japan.
2012 The Colour of Distance Papakura Art Gallery, Papakura, Auckland.
2011 The Ghost and The Manaia IMPACT7, International Print Conference, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
2011 Pakiwhaitara; Stories to Tell CPIT, Christchurch, and School of Arts, Mexico City.
2011 36 Years in the Red Zone Brooke Gifford at the Chambers@241, Christchurch.
2011 NZ Painting and Printmaking Awards WSA, Hamilton.
2011 Charity for Christchurch Exhibition, Nadene Milne Gallery, Arrowtown.
2010 Pacific Rim International Print Exhibition SOFA Gallery, Christchurch.
2010 Bold Horizon National Contemporary Art Award, Waikato Museum, Hamilton.
2010 Anthony Harper Contemporary Art Award, COCA Gallery, Christchurch.
2010 NZ Painting and Printmaking Awards, WSA, Hamilton.
2009 Koru Lounge, COCA, Christchurch.
2009 Unframed, PaperGraphica, Christchurch.
2009 Masters 08, SOFA Gallery, Christchurch.
SELECTED PUBLIC/PRIVATE COLLECTIONS
James Wallace Arts Trust: Hands in the Ayer, 2015
NZ Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade Art Collection.
Zuckerman Museum of Art Collection Kennesaw State University. Southern Graphics Council International.
Auckland City Council: Harakeke Series 2012
Ara Institute of Canterbury Art Collection.
Otago Polytechnic School of Arts Collection.
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
2019 Olivia Spencer Bower Award
2015 Creative New Zealand Quick Response Grant towards exhibiting at Impact9, Hangzhou, China
2014 Creative New Zealand Earthquake Recovery Grant for Toi Te Karoro, Art New Brighton
2014 Creative Communities Grant for Toi Te Karoro, Art New Brighton
2012 Asia New Zealand Foundation, Arts and Culture Grant.
2011 Ethol Susan Jones Fine Arts Traveling Scholarship, University of Canterbury
2007, 2008 Bickerton Widdowson Trust Scholarship, School of Fine Arts, University of Canterbury
2007 Ethol Rose Overton Scholarship, School of Fine Arts, University of Canterbury
• Ruth Agnew, Red Threads: The Art of Kim Lowe , Takahe 95, Issue 1 2019, pg 57-62, ISSN:0114-4138
• Warren Feeney, Kim Lowe is the recipient of the 2019 Olivia Spencer Bower Award, Art Beat, Sun. Nov 4 2018.
• Nan Mulder, Windows on the Soul: Profile Kim Lowe and Simon Kaan, Printmaking Today, Summer 2016, pg 12-13.
• Warren Feeney, Sydney Art Fair filled with Kiwi Artists, The Press, Weds. Sept 9 2015
• Lynda Tyler, Keeper of the Artistic Flame, Art News, Winter 2014.
• Catherine Tsui, Mrs Chrysanthemum Patiently Waits…, Kim Lowe, Projectspace, September 2013
• Celia Wilson, Kim Lowe, Helga Goran, Christina Silaghi, Sense of Place: Distances, Passages, Conjunctions ISBN 970-0-473-21637-5
• Andrew Paul Wood, The Ghost and The Manaia, Kim Lowe and Simon Kaan. [Exhibition catalogue]. 2011. Christchurch
• Andrew Paul Wood, Two Shows at the Brooke Gifford Gallery, Eyecontact: Critical reviews and spirited discussion on art and visual culture in Aotearoa New Zealand, 18 April, 2010. http://eyecontactsite.com/2010/04/two-shows-at-the-brooke-gifford-gallery-christchur
• Celia Wilson, Kim Lowe, Helga Goran, Christina Silaghi, Forms of Attention 2010, ISBN 978-473-17769-0
• COCA, Koru Lounge: Pure Forms and Cultural Narratives. . [Exhibition catalogue]. 2009 Christchurch
• Kim Lowe, Jade and Pounamu. April 2009 [MFA catalogue]
• Kim Lowe, ‘Studio Work’, Oculus: Postgraduate Journal for Visual Arts Research, Issue No 1, Feb 2009, pp 62-63
• SOFA, Masters 08; Kim Lowe, Marie Le Lievre, Robin Neate, Christina Silaghi. SOFA 59. [Exhibition catalogue]. 2009. Christchurch
• COCA. Preview 2008. Contemporary South Island Artists. [Exhibition catalogue]. Christchurch